Lietotāju komentāri - Rakstīt atsauksmi
Ierastajās vietās neesam atraduši nevienu atsauksmi.
Citi izdevumi - Skatīt visu
Acres amount apportionment appropriations Assembly attendance Auditor Board building cash paid cash received Cedar cent chapter City claims collected College Company deficiency Department district dollars Dubuque e hf ending estimate expenses fact Fire grade grant hands hf of nw improvement increased Institute instruction interest Iowa issued July June labor lands loan lots March methods mills Moines month n hf nature ne of ne Normal November nw fr qr nw qr Permanent practical present pupils Railroad Range receipts River salary School Fund se of se Secretary Sections secure Sept showing Sioux situate STATEMENT suggest Superintendent sw of sw sw qr swamp TABLE teachers teaching term tion Town Union University visited w hf warrants week
102. lappuse - The use of this feigned history hath been to give some shadow of satisfaction to the mind of man in those points wherein the nature of things doth deny it, the world being in proportion inferior to the soul ; by reason whereof there is agreeable to the spirit of man, a more ample greatness, a more exact goodness, and a more absolute variety, than can be found in the nature of things.
103. lappuse - Therefore, because the acts or events of true history have not that magnitude which satisfieth the mind of man, poesy feigneth acts and events greater and more heroical. Because true history propoundeth the successes and issues of actions not so agreeable to the merits of virtue and vice, therefore poesy feigns them more just in retribution, and more according to revealed providence.
87. lappuse - But for those first affections, Those shadowy recollections, Which, be they what they may, Are yet the fountain light of all our day, Are yet a master light of all our seeing; Uphold us cherish and have power to make Our noisy years seem moments in the being Of the eternal silence...
23. lappuse - And if a sparrow cannot fall to the ground without his notice, is it probable that an empire can rise without his aid? We have been assured, sir, in the sacred writings that "except the Lord build the house, they labor in vain that build it.
16. lappuse - That the provisions of this act be extended to and their benefits be conferred upon each of the other States of the Union in which such swamp and overflowed lands, known and designated as aforesaid, may be situated.
17. lappuse - Moines to Council Bluffs ; from Lyons City, northwesterly to a point of intersection with the main line of the...
30. lappuse - ... receipts during the previous year, the cost of repairs and incidental expenses, the net amount of profits, and the dividends made, with such other facts as may be necessary to a full statement of the affairs and condition of such road; and the auditor shall incorporate an abstract thereof in his annual report to the general assembly.
133. lappuse - CLASSIFICATION. The first element of superiority in a Prussian school, and one whose influence extends throughout the whole subsequent course of instruction, consists in the proper classification of the scholars. In all places where the numbers are sufficiently large to allow it, the children are divided according to ages and attainments ; and a single teacher has the charge only of a single class, or of as small a number of classes as is practicable.
17. lappuse - ... every alternate section of land, designated by odd numbers, for six sections in width on each side of said roads.
100. lappuse - ... mankind to engage? to how many the studies which took their rise from her have been wealth in poverty, liberty in bondage, health in sickness, society in solitude ? Her power is indeed manifested at the bar, in the senate, in the field of battle, in the schools of philosophy. But these are not her glory. Wherever literature consoles sorrow, or assuages pain, wherever it brings gladness to eyes which fail with wakefulness and tears, and ache for the dark house and the long sleep, there is...