Lapas attēli

also, in some ornamental type-faces, the outside

shading. bearer. (1) A strip of metal or wood locked in a form,

or constituting part of the bed of a press: used to bear off the impression from the form. (2) A type or type-high strip or piece of metal used in blank spaces in matter that is to be cast, to furnish a sup

port in shaving the plate. Called also guard. bearer-line. A dummy line, as of bearers, inserted to

fill a blank space. bed. The part of a printing-press which supports the

form, or a part from which work is fed to a machine. bevel. A bevel-edged slug, nearly type-high, used by

stereotypers to form the side flange of a plate. binder's-title. The title lettered on the back of a book. bite. A white spot in an impression caused by some

thing projecting between the type or plate and the

paper. blank line. A line of quadrats; a vacant or break-line. blanket. A smooth web or sheet of felt, india-rubber,

or other material, covering an impression-surface in order to give a smooth surface not hard enough to

damage the type or plates. bleed. To cut into the printed part of a book in trim

ming. blind-tooling. In bookbinding, ornament impressed by

heated tools. block. A hard wood compound base on which thin

printing-plates (as of illustrations) are held by

clamps or nails for printing. board. (1) A flat wooden slab used in bookbinding, as

for burnishing, gilding, etc. (2) A pasteboard side for a book cover, especially when paper covered: used usually in the plural.

[ocr errors]

body. The size or depth of type as distinguished from

its face or style. bold-face. Same as FULL-FACE. book-clamp. (1) A parallel vise for holding books in

process of binding. (2) A device for holding a number of books together tightly and carrying

them. book-plate. (1) An electrotype or stereotype of a page

of a book. (2) An engraved label placed in a book

to indicate ownership. book-stamp. A stamp designed for embossing book


boss. One of a number of projecting pieces of metal,

usually ornamental, placed on the side of a book, to

protect it from wear. box. See CASE. brayer. A roller mounted for use by hand as distin

guished from one to be used on a press. break-line. The last line of a paragraph when contain

ing blank space. broadside. A large sheet of paper, having a ballad,

squib, personal statement, or other matter printed

on one side; a broad sheet. bronzing. A process in printing in which sizing and

bronze powder are used instead of printer's ink. burr. A roughness or rough edge, especially one left

on metal in cutting, casting, or subjecting it to other

mechanical process; as, a burr on a plate. cabinet. An enclosed rack or receptacle with small

cases or drawers for display-type, cuts, etc. cancel. (1) The striking or cutting out, omission, or

suppression of a leaf, leaves, or any part of any printed matter or work. (2) One or more leaves cut out, or a leaf or leaves to be substituted for those cut out. (3) Any printed matter substituted

for that stricken out. canceled type. A type the face of which is cast with a

line across it, as some figures in mathematical

works, or some silent letters in school-books. cap. (1) In printing, a capital letter. (2) In bookbind

ing, the covering of the head-band or the envelope of

a book while being bound. cap case.

See CASE. card. To insert strips of card between words, letters, or

lines, instead of using hair-spaces or leads: done in

reference books where it is necessary to save space. caret. A sign (1) placed below a line, indicating where

omitted words, letters, etc. should be inserted:

sometimes inverted (V) and above the line. case. A wooden tray divided into compartments called

boxes for keeping separate the letters of a font of type. Cases for body-type are made in pairs, called upper (or cap) case and lower case respectively. Other cases are named from their use-as, musiccase (for music-type), rule-case (for brass rules),

job-case (for display-type used in job-work). cast off. To estimate any type-space. casting-box. In stereotyping, a cast-iron box in which

casts are made. catch-line. A sho line in small type between two

larger display-type lines. catch-word. (1) A word so placed as to catch the atten

tion; specifically, an isolated word or words at the top of the page of a reference book, as a dictionary: inserted as a guide to the words treated on the page. (2) Formerly, a word at the bottom of a page inserted to connect the text with the beginning of the next page.

[ocr errors]
[ocr errors][ocr errors][ocr errors][ocr errors][ocr errors]

catch-word entry. The registry of a book in a catalog

by some word in the title likely to be easily re

membered. ceriph. A hair-line; a light line or stroke crossing or

projecting from the end of a main line or stroke in a letter, as at the top and bottom of the letter M.

Gothic letters (M) have no ceriphs. chapel. (1) The body of journeyman printers in a given

office: usually organized under a chairman, known in Great Britain as “the father of the chapel.” (2)

Formerly, a printing-house. chase. A strong rectangular iron frame into which pages

of type are fastened, as for printing or stereotyping. clicker. The member of a companionship of composi

tors that distributes copy, makes up, etc. collate. To examine, as the gathered sheets of a book

to be bound for verifying and correcting the arrange

ment. colophon. An inscription or other device formerly

placed at the end of books and writings, often showing the title, the writer's or the printer's name, and

date and place of printing. column-rule. A thin brass strip, type-high, used to mark

the divisions of columns. composing. The setting of type. composing-frame. A frame or stand for holding type

cases in a convenient position for use. Called also

composing-stand. composing-room. The room in a printing-office where

the type is set. composing-rule. A thin piece of type-high brass or

steel rule, cut to a required measure, but with a beak left at one or both of the upper corners : used in setting and handling type.

[merged small][ocr errors][ocr errors]

composing-stick. A tray or receptacle of metal or

wood, capable of adjustment so as to vary the
length of a line required, used by a compositor in

setting the type that he takes from the cases. composition. The act or process of setting type. condensed. Thin in comparison to height: said of type. copy. Manuscript or printed matter to be set in type

by a compositor. copy-holder. A proof-reader's assistant, who aids in

comparing proof with copy for the detection of

correction. (1) The act of correcting or setting right; the

noting or removing of an error or fault; rectifica-
tion; emendation. (2) That which is substituted or

offered as an improvement.
counter. That part of the face of a type which is de.

pressed in giving the character its form. crushed. Pressed between metal sheets so as to smooth

the surface of, and give finish to coarse-grained

leather : applied to books bound in morocco. cut. A block upon which something is engraved, or an

impression from it. cut-in. Set at the side of a page within the space be

longing to the regular text and displacing a part of

the text, as a note. cylinder. The rotating cylindrical portion of a printings

press. dabber. A printer's inking-ball or pad. dead matter. See MATTER. deckle-edged. Having a rough edge; uncut : said of

dele. To take out: in proof-reading, represented by a

sign directing a compositor to take out something
that has been put in type. For sign, see page 61.

[ocr errors]
« iepriekšējāTurpināt »