Lapas attēli


hallooed at me, some of them had gotten up to the road and some of them were still with the Civilian Conservation Corps truck which had turned over off the bank of the road and was lying, I believe, on its side, something like 30 feet or 40 feet down the bank from the shoulder of the road. I saw Archie Carroll, whom I knew well, near the truck. When I first saw Ross Lee they were carrying him from the truck

up toward my car which was in the road. I did not recognize him at the time. Some of the boys in the truck asked me to take him to a hospital. I was driving a 1930 model A Ford coupe. Lester Lintner was with me. We put Ross Lee in the seat, with his head lying in my lap. The officer in charge of the Civilian Conservation Corps truck went with us and rode on the fender of the

I took the turtle shell off the back of the car and some of the boys rode in the back. There were three boys in the back of the car and two of them had been injured and they also went to the hospital. Lintner also went along. It was about 11 o'clock at night, the weather was fair, and the road was dry. I did not go down to the truck, and as soon as Lee was placed in the car I drove as fast as I could to the hospital at Etowah.

When I first saw the lights of the truck it was already off the road and still, and it must have been about 300 yards from the place where the truok was. I do not know how long the truck had been off the road but evidently just a short while before I came in sight. I did not look at the road for tracks made by the truck that night but I did go back to the scene of the accident the next morning to get a piece of my car that I had left there and looked at the road then. The road approaching the place where the truck went off the bank was practically straight and almost level. The road at the place where the truck was was plenty wide for two automobiles to pass. I saw the tracks of the truck where they had led off the traveled portion of the road to the right of the road and got over off the shoulder some distance before the truck went off the road and over the bank. There was no car in front of me that I could see going in the same direction that I was and we had stopped along the side of the road for a short while before that and no automobile passed us, and I am sure that there was not any vehicle at all in front of me going in my direction. The Civilian Conservation Corps truck could not have been meeting any vehicle at the time of the accident.

I am not related to any of the parties interest in this matter, am not employed by either of them, and I am not employed by the Government.

CLAUDE HICKS. Subscribed and sworn to before me, this the 21st day of June 1940. (SEAL)


Notary Public. My commission expires October 7, 1942.


My name is Homer W. Taylor, I am 23 years of age, and I live at Ivy, Tenn.

I have never been an enrollee in the Civilian Conservation Corps camp but I lived at Ivy, Tenn., within about a quarter of a mile of the Civilian Conservation Corps camp for several years. Part of this time I lived within 200 yards of this camp. I knew a number of the boys enrolled at the camp as well as the officers and Mr. Harris, the educational director. I was at the camp frequently. I rode in the truck with the Civilian Conservation Corps boys many times. On one occasion I went to North Carolina with them to a baseball game, and on many occasions I went with them from the camp to Etowah to the picture show and back. The other times they have asked me to ride as I would be walking along the road. I asked the sergeant about riding in the truck and he said it was all right for me to ride, and I asked the captain about riding and he said that it was all right for me to ride just as long as he did not see me get on. On the trips I made with the boys in the truck to the show at Etowah the sergeant would count the boys as they got in the truck and he would allow me to get on, although he did not count mo. They all knew that I was riding with them, and Mr. Harris also knew it. I made many trips over there when he was with the truck, Usually when the truck got to Etowah Mr. Harris would watch the boys get off the truck and when they loaded up for the return trip to camp he or the sergeant would come around to see that all the boys were on the truck. At no time did they ever object to my riding in the truck with the Civilian Conserva-, tion Corps boys.

All of the trips I made to Etowah to the show were made before April 1937, although they have picked me up since that time. I fix this date because I was married in April 1937.

I am not in any wise related to Mrs. C. A. Lee and have no interest in any claim she has against the Government as a result of the death of Ross Lee.

HOMER W. TAYLOR. Subscribed and sworn to before me, this the 19th day of June 1940. (SEAL)


Notary Public, My commission expires October 7, 1942.

[ocr errors]
[ocr errors][ocr errors]



FEBRUARY 9, 1945.—Committed to the Committee of the Whole House and

ordered to be printed

Mr. PITTENGER, from the Committee on Claims, submitted the



(To accompany H. R. 946)

The Committee on Claims, to whom was referred the bill (H. R. 946) for the relief of the estate of Robert C. Meals, Mrs. Bessie Mae Morgret, Mrs. Margaret J. Meals, Donald Meals (a minor), and Betty Wrightstone (a minor), having considered the same, report favorably thereon with amendments and recommend that the bill, as amended,

do pass.

The amendments are as follows:

Page 1, line 5, after the word "appropriated”, strike out the bill through line 9, page 2; insert in lieu thereof: to the estate of Robert C. Meals, the sum of $5.742; to the estate of Bessie Mae Morgret, the sum of $4,000; to the legal guardian of Donald Meals, the sum of $2,616.50; to Mrs. Margaret J. Meals, the sum of $2,996.94; to the legal guardian of Betty Wrightstone, the sum of $4,043.50.

At the end of bill, strike out the period, and insert: : Provided, That no part of the amount appropriated in this Act in excess of 10 per centurn thereof shall be paid or delivered to or received by any agent or attorney on account of services rendered in connection with this claim, and the same shall be unlawful, any contract to the contrary notwithstanding. Any person violating the provisions of this Act shall be deemed guilty of a misdemeanor and upon conviction thereof shall be fined in any sum not exceeding $1,000.

A similar bill was favorably reported by this committee and passed the House in the Seventy-eighth Congress.

The facts will - be found fully set forth in House Report No. 52, Seventy-eighth Congress, which is appended hereto and made a part of this report.

(H. Rept. No. 52, 78th Cong., Ist sess.) An identical bill was reported favorably and passed by the House during the Seventy-seventh Congress, but no action was taken by the Senate before final adjournment.

The facts will be found fully set forth in House Report No. 2617, Seventyseventh Congress, second session, which is appended hereto and made a part of

this report.

(H. Rept. No. 2617, 77th Cong., 2d sess.) The purpose of the proposed legislation is to pay to the estate of Robert C. Meals, deceased, the sum of $5,742; to the estate of Mrs. Bessie Mae Morgret, deceased, the sum of $4,000; to the legal guardian of Donald Meals the sum of $2,616.50; to Mrs. Margaret Meals the sum of $2,996.94; to the legal guardian of Betty Wrightstone the sum of $4,043.50, in full settlement of all claims against the United State, for the deaths of Robert C. Meals and Mrs. Bessie Mae Morgret, and for personal injuries and expenses to Mrs. Margaret Meals, Donald Meals, and Betty Wrightstone, sustained as a result of a collision on November 25, 1939, near Carlisle, Pa., between the automobile driven by the late Robert C. Meals and a United States Army truck operated by a unit of the Pennsylvania National Guard.


[ocr errors]

On November 25, 1939, at about 7:30 p. m., Robert C. Meals and his family were on their way to Carlisle, Pa.; Robert Meals was driving; seated beside him was his wife, Margaret Meals, and in the rear was a son, Donald Meals, aged 9 years; a niece, Betty Wrightstone, aged 13 years; and the mother of his wife, Mrs. Bessie Mae Morgret. When the car driven by Mr. Meals reached a point approximately 272 miles east of Carlisle, Pa., a United States Army truck in the service of the Pennsylvania National Guard, operated by Ralph Mitzel, a member of the Pennsylvania National Guard, proceeded completely across the road to the side on which the car driven by Mr. Meals was traveling, and crashed into the vehicle of Mr. Meals. Photographs which were taken at the scene of the accident definitely show that the National Guard truck came completely over the enter line of the highway.

As a result of the accident, Mr. Meals and his mother-in-law were both killed outright. His son, Donald Meals, sustained a fractured skull, severe concussion of the brain, puncture wound of the left side of the neck, which bled the entire night of the accident, and which has left an ugly scar; lacerations and severe brush burns of the entire face. Both wrists and legs were severely injured. Bruises of the entire body were sustained. This child could not turn his head for 6 weeks because of the puncture wound on his neck. All of these injuries have left a permanent injury.

Margaret Meals, the wife, suffered a badly fractured lower left jaw, through neck of the mandible, deep infection of the soft tissues of the neck, opening from floor of mouth and between teeth and cheek-very extensive and dangerous and painful, due to close proximity to glands and vascular systems of floor of mouth and neck. This wound drained from November 28 to December 19, 1939, and left a scar about an inch long. Her jaw was greatly swollen. There is a lump on the left side of her face resulting from the fracture. The fractured jaw could not be reduced until December 7, 1939, when intradental wiring was used to wire the upper and lower jaws together. Mrs. Meals was unable to eat except through the use of straws. She has a permanent scar on her face; a severe laceration of her left thigh, which is jagged and red; a laceration in the shape of a crescent on her left leg, leaving a scar which is noticeable through her stockings; a deep laceration of her left knee, leaving a scar about an inch and a half in length, also clearly visible through her stockings; also, there were bruises and contusions of her left side and entire body.

Betty Wrightstone, the niece, aged 13 years, prior to the accident had a clear, unmarred complexion, and was a robust, healthy child. She suffered severe shock to her nervous system, a fractured right wrist, severe laceration of left eyelids which has left a purple scar, a deep laceration over the bridge of the nose, which is also purple; severe lacerations of left wrist, leaving raised, purple scars, about an inch long; 14 lacerations of the left hand; the arteries were severed in the left wrist, and she has very severe scars on her legs and thighs. She suffered a compound, comminuted fracture of the left leg, leaving a posterior displacement, and a partial disability of the thigh. She developed embolic pneumonia as a result of the exposure. She became depressed and nervous and given to moody spells, after the accident. In June 1940, she was forced to return to the hospital and have a piece of bone removed from her leg, and there is grave possibility that she will again have to return for another operation.

Mrs. Bessie Mae Morgret, who was killed in this accident, was a woman of 54 years, very active, did all her own housework, and did outside work, as well.

She did most of the housework and looked after the young son, Donald, for Mr. and Mrs. Robert Meals, while Margaret Meals worked. She was in good health, and was a great loss to the family.

« iepriekšējāTurpināt »