« iepriekšējāTurpināt »
✔✔V-MANUFACTURING AND MINING COMMUNITIES
1. The Extent to Which Immigrant Colonies Exist. ... 67
2. Types of Immigrant Communities . . .
3. Segregation of the Immigrant Population.
4. The Significance of Immigrant Communities
1. The Foreign-Born Farmer in the United States. . . 77
The Races from Northern and Western Europe 77
The Southern and Eastern European Farmer 80
2. The Origin of Immigrant Banks
3. Banking Functions-Deposits.
6. Immigrant Newspapers, Churches, and Schools
VIII-LIVING CONDITIONS AND CONGESTION
Congestion of Population a Serious Evil.
2. Industrial Cities and Towns . .
Rent in Its Relation to Standard of Living. 131
Tendencies Exhibited by Recent Immigrants. 132
Types of Immigrant Households. . . . . . 133
IX-THE STATUS OF IMMIGRANTS IN INDUSTRIES
2. Length of Residence of Immigrant Employees. . . 139
3. Reason for the Employment of Southern and East-
6. Annual Earnings According to Race, Age, and Sex. 153
2. Racial Classification of Railroad and Other Construc-
3. Period of Residence of Immigrant Workmen in the
5. Characteristics of the Labor Supply
6. Housing and Living Conditions in the West.
7. Working and Living Conditions in the South.
8. The Commissary in Southern Camps.
9. Southern Employers' Preferences for Labor
10. Maintenance of Law and Order in Southern Camps
1. Salient Characteristics of the Immigrant Labor
Illiteracy and Inability to Speak English.
4. Immigration Has Produced Unsatisfactory Condi-
The Effect of the Recent Immigrant Upon
5. The Immigrant and Labor Organizations.
6. Racial Displacement as a Result of Immigrant Com-
7. Immigration Has Checked Increase in Wages
Orientals Not Easily Assimilated.
Governmental Action of China and Japan. 201
Advantages of Association With Other Na-
Advantages of Association With Educated
2. Population of the Pacific Coast.
Displacement of Americans by European
XIII-ORIENTAL IMMIGRATION TO THE PACIFIC
Picture Brides: Proxy Marriages.
Exclusion as Liable to Become Public Charges 237